Associate Professor, College of Education and Rehabilitation
- PhD, Temple University
- MSW, University of Pennsylvania
- BS, Temple University
Role at Salus:
- Associate Professor, Occupational Therapy Program
- Cultivating positive psycho-social aspects of people with disabilities or chronic conditions. Promoting health and wellness, role participation and well-being for women/mothers with multiple sclerosis or spinal cord injury.
Selected Representative Publications:
- Farber, R. S, Kern, M. L & Brusilovskiy, E. (2015). Integrating the ICF with Positive Psychology: Factors Predicting Role Participation for Mothers with Multiple Sclerosis. Rehabilitation Psychology. . 60(2)169-178 (referred)
- Farber, R (2013). Distance Education and Teaching Online: My Journey from Mystery to Mastery. Occupational Therapy In Health Care, 27(3), pp. 272–279 (invited)
- Tyszka, A.C. & Farber, R.S. (2010). Exploration of Health-Promoting Behaviors, Role Participation, and Health-related Quality of Life of Women with Multiple Sclerosis American Journal Of Occupational Therapy (referred).
- Farber, R. S. & Koenig, K. P. (2008). Facilitating clinical reasoning in fieldwork: The relational context of the supervisor and student. In B. A. Schell & J.W. Schell (Eds) Clinical Reasoning in Occupational Therapy. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore, MD (invited and reviewed).
- Tyszka, A. C. & Farber, R. S. (2006) Study Examines the effects of health promotion in women with MS. MS Connection, Fall 2006, p. 25.
- DeRosier, R. & Farber, R. S. (2005). Speech Recognition Software as an Assistive Device: A Pilot Study of User's Satisfaction and Psychosocial Impact WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation (2) 125-134 (referred).
- Farber, R. S. (2004). Experience of mothers with disabilities: Learning from their voice. In J. Olsen and S. Esdaile (Eds). Mothering occupations: Challenge, Participation and agency (pp.193-216). FA. Davis: Philadelphia (invited and reviewed)
- Farber, R. S. (2000). Mothers with disabilities: In their own voice. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 54(3) 260-268 (referred).
Selected Representative Presentations:
- Farber, R.S. (2017, July). Exploring the Relationship Between Psychological Well-being, Role Participation and Parental Satisfaction of Mothers with Spinal Cord Injury: Role of the Positive Psychology in Rehabilitation. Round Table Paper Presentation at the International Positive Psychology Association. Montreal, Canada.
- Farber, R.S. and Tyszka, A. (2017, AOTA). Positive Factors Contributing to Greater Role Participation and Satisfaction With Maternal Participation for Mothers With Multiple Sclerosi. Poster to be presentation at the Annual American Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- Farber, R.S, Tyszka, A, Sponseller, L, Foy, C, Pelham-Foster, S. and Larson. M. (2017, March)
Women’s Health and Health Care: Providing Occupational Therapy Reflecting the Needs of Today’s Women and Health Care Environment. Short course will be presented at Annual American Occupational Therapy Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- Farber, R. and Kern, P. (2016, June). Thriving in the Face of Adversity: Mothers with Multiple Sclerosis. Paper presented at Canadian Conference on Positive Psychology, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
- Silverman, F. & Farber, R.S. (April, 2016). Post-Professional OTD: Searching for the Just Right Doctoral Project/Capstone. Poster presentation at the Annual American Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Chicago, IL(referred)
- Farber, R. S. (2015, April) Living Fully: Developing an Online Wellness Program for Women with Chronic Illness or Disability. Poster presentation at the Annual American Occupational Therapy Organization Conference, Nashville, TN. (referred)
- Silverman, F, Farber, R.S, Tyszka, A, Sponseller, L. & Foy, C. (2015, April). The Power of Mentorship: Its Role in Faculty Satisfaction and Productivity. Paper presentation at the Annual American Occupational Therapy Organization Conference, Nashville, TN. (referred)
- Tyszka, A. & Farber, R. S.(2014, April). The Relationship of Health-Promoting Behaviors and Participation for Women With Multiple Sclerosis: Application of the International Classification of Functioning. Poster presentation at the Annual American Occupational Therapy Conference in Baltimore, MD. (referred).
- Farber, R. S & Fleming, M. (2014, April). Mothers with Spinal Cord Injury (SCI): The Relationship Between Psychological Well-being, Role Participation, Parental Satisfaction & Adaptation. Poster presentation at the Annual American Occupational Therapy Conference in Baltimore, MD. (referred).
- Rehabilitation Psychology: Guest editor 2014-2015
- American Journal of Occupational Therapy: Reviewer 2012-2013
- Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine: Guest editing Spring 2011
- American Journal of Occupational Therapy: Editorial Review Board 1999-2001, 2003-2006, 2007-2009 , 2010-2011.
- British Journal of Occupational Therapy: Guest editing, Spring 2011
- Mayors Commission for People with Disabilities (2001-present)
- PA Licensed Occupational Therapist, 1998-present
- Registered/Certified Occupational Therapist 1970-present.
- PA Licensed Psychologist, 1996-present
Dr. Farber was selected for the Shirley Davis Award for Excellence in Synchronous Learning, from the National University Telecommunications Network (2010). This award was based on her work entitled "National and International Models Serving People with Disabilities: Teaching Occupational Therapy Theory Using Distance Education" as a part of her teaching in the DOT Program at Temple University, Department of Rehabilitation Sciences.