September 22, 2014
William A. Monaco, OD, PhD
, associate dean, Graduate Programs in Biomedicine and associate director, Public Health programs, was featured in the September issue of the American Optometry Association’s (AOA) Focus magazine
. In addition to his responsibilities at Salus, Dr. Monaco has continued his optometric work with the elderly, conducting exams in nursing homes, making him a natural for this profile.
- PhD, University of Houston Areas of study: Physiological Optics, Cell Biology.
- MS, University of Southern California.
- OD, Southern California College of Optometry.
Role at Salus:
- Associate Dean for Graduate Programs in Biomedicine (GPBI)
- Associate Director of the Public Health programs
- Environmental Health
- Optometric Care in Skilled Facilities
Selected Representative Publications:
- 2014 - “Optometric Care of Nursing Home Residents” Rebecca H WartmanO.D., William Monaco, O.D., Tina McDonald, O.D., Stuart Greenberg, O.D., Naganathan Muthuramalingam, B.S, MPhil. Published by American Optometric Association.
- 2009 - “Optometric Care Within the Public Health Community” Hatch, S., W. McAlister, J. Whitener, S. Block, Editors, Chapter title: Provision of Eye Care Services in Nursing Facilities: Impact of Access Issues. William A. Monaco (In Review)
- 2005 - "Protocol for Binocular Multifocal and Accommodating Devices," Federal Aviation Agency, FAA Aviation Medical Guidelines, William A. Monaco (WG member).
- 2000 - "Screening for Glaucoma in the Primary Care Setting," VHA Working Group, J. Orcutt, W.A. Monaco, M. Lynch, J. Penny, S. Ingersoll, M. Fingeret, J. Tielsch Veterans Health Administration Clinical Practice Guidelines.
- 1997 - "Team Role of Optometry in a Managed Care System," Monaco, William A., Primary & Ambulatory Care Environment Consensus Conference Proceedings, Veterans Health Administration.
- 1987 - "Night Vision: Current Research and Future Directions," Johnson, C.A., Leibowitz, H.W., Carr, R.E., Kinney, J., Markous, W., Monaco, W.A., and Pitts, D.G., National Academy Press.
- 1984 - "Air-to-Air Target Detection," Monaco, W.A., Tri-Service Aeromedical Research Panel Proceedings, Naval Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory Report.
- 1982 - "Retrolental Fibroplasia: Efficacy of Vitamin E in a Double-Blind Clinical Study of Pre-Term Infants," Hittner, H.M., Godio, L.B., Rudolph, A.J., Adams, J.M., Garcia-Pratz, J.A., Friedman, Z., Kautz, J.A., and Monaco, W.A., Special Ross Laboratories (Booklet).
- 1996 - "Proceedings of the 1992 Northeastern State University Symposium on Theoretical and Clinical Optometry," Northeastern State University College of Optometry. Editor and Author.
- 1995 - "Laser Hazards and Safety," Optometry Clinics, Monaco, W.A., Barker, F.M. 4(4): 1-15, Plenum Press.
Papers, Thesis and Dissertations Mentored:
- Hoyer, S, Bachman, R -"There is a UV protective effect from pterygium formation in patients who wear Acuvue Oasys contact lenses over conventional spectacle lenses, September 2013.
- Andrew Hardison, “The Relationship Between Alcohol Abuse in Men and Women in the Military and Stressors from a Military Work Environment: An Intervention Strategy”, May 2014
- Manikandan Rajapa, “Last name vs. “Date of Birth” in Electronic Health Record Systems”, May 2014
- Diploma in American Optometric Association,
- Distinguished Practitioner, National Academies of Practice