placed here only to preload the colorbox scripts
History of Salus/PCO

History

Today the University is a diversified, globally recognized, health professions university that offers a wide range of accredited post-graduate and professional degree programs. Currently, the University has more than 1,200 students and more than 14,000 alumni worldwide. 
 
PCO founder, Dr. Albert Fitch, was considered a visionary by his peers and a revolutionary by others in the healthcare community. His goal in establishing the Pennsylvania State College of Optometry (our original name) as a nonprofit educational institution in 1919 was to create a professional school of optometry comparable to those of medicine and dentistry. His desire was to “obtain a higher standard of proficiency and to enlighten the public mind on the subject and science of optometry and its relationship to the conservation of vision.” That desire to set and maintain a higher standard of education is evident today at Salus University, where the institution continues to break new ground with creative and innovative curricula for all of its degree programs. 
 
The name Salus University may still be young, however, the history and reputation of our founding institution - the Pennsylvania College of Optometry - is known and respected around the world. Changes in the nation’s healthcare delivery system are significantly altering every facet of our diversified medical and health science professions. Central to the Salus mission is keeping pace with the rapidly expanding healthcare issues, setting national trends and standards and being the leader in providing the nation’s top health science, education and rehabilitation professionals.
 

1950 Spring Garden Street

1950

The Spring Garden Street Clinic is renovated and rededicated.

1953

1953

A special program is established that provides students with experience in geriatric care at Riverview, a residence for the elderly.

1954

1954

PSCO is the first independent healthcare school of any kind to be recognized by a regional accrediting body, PSCO obtains accreditation from the Middle States Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges.

1954 - Crozier

1954

Dr. John Crozier, OD ’48 is the first Alumni Association representative elected to the Board of Trustees.

Read more about Dr. Crozier
1955

1955

Entrance requirements are raised to include two years of pre-optometric college work in specified subjects, thereby formalizing the six-year educational program for the first time.

1957

PSCO develops a satellite clinic at the Philadelphia County House of Correction.

1958

1958

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania authorizes PSCO to grant the Bachelor of Science Degree.