Speech-Language Pathology Master’s Degree Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Admissions Process

What does it mean to me as a potential student to attend a program that has received Candidacy Award status by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA)?
As a Candidacy Award program, enrolled SLP students are well protected by the Council and ASHA in that, upon graduation, students are extended all rights and privileges available to other students who are enrolled in fully accredited programs including 1) the right to sit for the Praxis II exam; 2) coursework and clinical hours that count toward ASHA membership and certification (CCC-SLP); and 3) eligibility to apply for state licensure and certification as a speech-language pathologist in the school system.  Candidacy Award status is available up to five years. In our case, Candidacy has been awarded from July, 2015 through June, 2020.
Do students need to have an undergraduate degree in speech-language pathology to apply?
No. Students must complete a Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university prior to enrollment. It is highly recommended that an applicant have a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Students with less than a 3.0 GPA should consult the Admissions Office prior to applying.  Applicants must complete the following admissions prerequisites with a grade of 'B-' or better.
For a list of prerequisite course work and other requirements, including observation hours, please see the Criteria & Prerequisites section on the Applicant Process page.
What is the GRE cutoff for potential students?
It is highly recommended that an applicant have a minimum score within the 50th percentile range on both the GRE verbal and quantitative exams and a 4 in analytical writing. Students scoring below the 50th percentile should consult the Office of Admissions prior to applying. Numeric scores associated with the 50th percentile appear in the table below.

GRE® revised General Test (tests taken on or after August 1, 2011)
Measure 50th Percentile Raw Score
Verbal Reasoning 151-152
Quantitative Reasoning 152-153
Analytical Writing 4

Are applicants required to use a specific form when submitting letters of recommendation?
Detailed instructions regarding the completion of the application and the essay are provided on the CSDCAS website.
How many students are enrolled in the speech-language pathology program each academic year?
Twenty-five (25) students were enrolled in the first entering class during Fall 2015. We expect to gradually increase our enrollment figure with future classes.
If admitted to the program, are students able to defer entrance?
Yes, students may defer entrance for a period of one year.  Please see the SLP deferment policy here. 
What happens after students accept an offer of admission?
An applicant may be notified of his or her acceptance as early as October, prior to the desired year of enrollment. Upon receipt of acceptance, the applicant is asked to confirm his or her decision to matriculate by submitting a $1,000 matriculation fee to the University prior to the start of classes.  Enrollment in the SLP Program is a fixed number; therefore, Salus would prefer for each applicant to matriculate as soon as his or her decision is made.  However, because the SLP Program abides by the Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders’ (CAPCSD) resolution 98-5, a full matriculation deposit is not required until April 15th of the year of desired enrollment.  All monies received are non-refundable and will be applied toward first term fees.
Does Salus accept transfer students from other masters programs in speech-language pathology?
Students who wish to transfer from another master’s program must meet all requirements for admission. A limited number of transfer credits will be reviewed and approved on an individual basis by the Director of the Speech-Language Pathology Program in collaboration with the Office of the Registrar.

Tuition Fees & Financial Aid

What is the cost of tuition and fees for the two year program?
The total cost (including university fees) of the Salus University College of Education and Rehabilitation Speech-Language Pathology program is approximately $53,500. Tuition and fees are subject to change.    
Is Financial Aid Available?
Yes. A variety of financial assistance is available to SLP students, such as loans, scholarships, grants, and work study. Students may contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.
Office of Financial Aid


What time of day are classes held?
Academic and clinical classes will be offered during the day and evening to accommodate the overall university class scheduling process. 
Can I complete my graduate degree in less than 5 semesters?
No. A minimum of 5 semesters is necessary in order to complete the academic and clinical requirements of the program.

Clinical Experience

Where is the clinic located?
The Speech-Language Institute, Salus’ on-campus clinic, is located on the second floor of the Breyer Office Park, on the main campus in Elkins Park, PA.       
What types of clients will I see during my on-campus clinical experience?
Students gain clinical experience with clients (infants, toddlers, children, adolescents, adults, and elders) exhibiting a variety of communication and swallowing disorders. Examples include delayed language and speech development, voice disorders, apraxia, dysarthria, dysphagia, aphasia, autism spectrum disorders, stuttering, and other cognitive-communicative disorders.
What type of supervision do students receive during their on-campus clinical experience?
Students are supervised by ASHA certified and PA State licensed clinical educators and faculty. Supervisors utilize a variety of methods to hone students clinical and professional skills using face-to-face and video monitoring. Supervision is adjusted depending on the unique needs of the student and client.
Where do students go for their externships?
Upon successful completion of their internships, students are placed in a variety of external sites during their second year. Sites include hospitals, acute rehabilitation, skilled nursing facilities, schools, and private practices to obtain clinical experiences and to earn their clinical hours toward graduation.
Do students choose their externships?
No. Assignments are made by the Clinical Director, keeping in mind the student’s professional interest.
Do students need to provide their own transportation to the externship?
Yes. Students are required to provide their own transportation to and from the externship.
Will students have to work on the weekends at their externship?
Possibly; students may be placed at facilities that will require weekend attendance.


How do students find out more about the program?
For additional questions or concerns, students can contact the Office of Admissions at 800-824-6262, admissions@salus.edu, or the SLP Administrative Assistant, Christine Lant at 215-780-3114, clant@salus.edu.
You can also enroll in an SLP webinar here.