Featuring the work of 17 artists from the Salus University community, the second exhibit of the year in the D’Arrigo Family Gallery
– housed in the University’s Hafter Student Community Center – will be unveiled with an opening reception on Monday, March 5, 5-7 p.m.
“Community Expressions” includes pieces in a variety of mediums from Salus students, faculty, staff, a patient and family members. According to gallery curator and artist Elynne Rosenfeld, “Community Expressions” is a celebration of Salus University’s homegrown talent. “[With] a long list of folks in the helping professions—or aspiring to be—there is also a great deal of creative ability within this group,” she said.
Curating and hanging a show that is too big for its wall presents challenges that are fun to meet, observed Rosenfeld. “It’s difficult to give every work the optimal space it deserves, but we do our best to not hang anything too high or too low to be noticed and appreciated,” she said about the diverse pieces that are being displayed together.
“While there is diversity of style, media and subject matter, there are also varied levels of experience,” Rosenfeld said. Some artists exhibited have just begun taking photos or painting, while others have been doing it for a while. Some began as a sort of therapeutic intervention for the individuals; while for others it serves as a transportive pastime unrelated to their vocations. “My goal here was to assemble the Salus community - its students, faculty, researchers, staff members, patients, friends and support systems into one ‘family’ on the wall, demonstrating, through a shared visual experience, their unique bond to one another, to Salus as a whole, and to the larger community beyond its confines," she said.
Thank you to all of the “Community Expressions” artists:
- Brittany Bishop, partner of Abigail Possinger, ‘21AUD
- Leonard Campbell, director, Network Security
- Andrea Coiro, husband of Francesca Crozier-Fitzgerald, current student receiving her MEd in the Blindness and Visual Impairment degree program
- Vito Cosmo, friend of Lisa Lonie, President’s Office
- Marietta Dooley, director, Learning Resource Center
- Alison Finkelstein, clinical educator, Speech-Language Institute
- Maureen Ganey, wife of vice president of finance, Donald Kates, CPA
- Kate Graff, recovering brain injury patient of Lynn Greenspan, OD
- Jamie Lemisch, director, Annual Giving and Alumni Relations
- Mary Mekhael, ’18OD
- Igor Peshenko, PhD, assistant professor and researcher
- Abigail Possinger, ‘21AUD
- Eric Smith, MA, CCC-SLP, clinical educator, Speech-Language Institute
- Emmanuel Stevenson, ’20OD
- Melissa Trego, OD, PhD, dean, Pennsylvania College of Optometry (PCO)
- Caitlin Wallace, ’18OD
- Jennifer Zuckerman, wife of chief of staff/in-house counsel, Brian Zuckerman
The gallery is located in the Hafter Student Community Center on the Salus campus, 50 Breyer Drive, in Elkins Park. Gallery hours are Monday through Friday, 6 a.m.-10 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.