SallyAnn Giess, PhD, JD
- PhD - University of Florida: Doctor of Philosophy in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- JD - University of Dayton
- MA - State University of New York at Buffalo in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- BA - State University of New York at Buffalo in Communication Sciences and Disorders
Role at Salus:
- Assistant Professor in Department of Speech-Language Pathology in College of Educational Rehabilitation
Assessment, diagnosis, and intervention for spoken and written child language disorders; developmental dyslexia; preventing language and literacy struggles in children who are homeless or living in poverty; school-based practice and issues related to school-based practice
Selected Representative Publications:
Giess, S., Cardanas-Hagen, E., Dickman, E., et al. (2014, February 10). Improving education for students with learning disabilities living in poverty. Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity. http://www.spotlightonpoverty.org/EducationAndPovertyCommentaries.aspx?id=501703aa-3596-47e4-819a-48e7cece9a70
Giess, S. (2010, 2014). The transition to the school-age years: Literacy development. In. N. Capone Singleton & B. Shulman (Eds.). Language development: Foundations, processes, and clinical applications. Second Edition (Ch. 11). MA: Jones & Bartlett.
Giess, S., Rivers, K, Kennedy, K. & Lombardino, L. (2012). Effects of multisensory phonics-based training on the word recognition and spelling skills of adolescents with reading disabilities. International Journal of Special Education, 27, 60-73.
Giess, S., Schussler, K., Means, J., & Fitzgerald, M. (2012). Preparing graduate students to carry out their roles and responsibilities in a school-based setting. Perspectives on Issues in Higher Education, 15, 11-15.
Selected Representative Presentations:
Giess, S., Hood, M., Haffar, J., Harrison, K., and Walker, H, (2013). Prevention through community collaboration: Working with children who are homeless. American Speech-Language Hearing Association annual convention, Chicago, IL.
Giess, S., Schussler, K., Means, J., and Fitzgerald, M. (2012, November). Preparing graduate students to carry out their roles and responsibilities in the schools. American Speech-Language Hearing Association annual convention, Atlanta, GA.
Giess, S., Dodd, J., Vickers, C., Hagge, D., and Mandas, A. (2012, April). A 21st century model for practicum training: Constructivism and community. CAPCSD 2012 Annual Conference, Newport Beach, CA.
Giess, S., Rivers, K., Kennedy, K., & Lombardino, L. (2011, November). Tier 3 intervention for adolescents with reading disability. American Speech-Language Hearing Association annual convention, San Diego, CA.
Giess, S. (2010, March) Language and literacy skills in children who are homeless. CSHA annual convention, Los Angeles, CA.
- Editor of Perspectives, the Continuing Education Journal of ASHA Special Interest Group 16 on School-Based Issues;
- Peer reviewer for Communication Disorders Quarterly;
- Member of the National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (CCC-SLP)
- State License in Speech-Language Pathology in Pennsylvania, California, and Texas
GRANTS and AWARDS
Talk, Read, Play: Faculty-Sponsored Student Scholarly/Creative Research grant (Chapman University); grant amount $738.00