Teng Leng Ooi, PhD
- BS in Optometry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- PhD in Physiological Optics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Role at Salus University:
- Pennsylvania College of Optometry
- Optometry & Basic Sciences
- Teaching: Ocular Motility, Normal and Abnormal Binocular Function, Human Development and Clinical Problem Solving. Research: Human Visual Perception and Action
Selected Representative Publications:
- Xu, J.P., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2012) Further support for the importance of the suppressive signal (pull) during the push-pull perceptual training. Vision Research, in press. doi:10.1016/j.visres.2012.01.003
- Xu, J.P., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2011) A binocular perimetry study of the causes and implications of sensory eye dominance. Vision Research, 51(23-24), 2386-2397.
- Xu, J.P., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2011) Push-pull training reduces foveal sensory eye dominance within the early visual channels. Vision Research, doi:10.1016/j.visres.2011.06.005.
- Xu, J.P., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2011) Perceptual learning to reduce sensory eye dominance beyond the focus of top-down visual attention. Vision Research, doi:10.1016/j.visres.2011.05.013.
- Su, Y. R., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2011) Revealing boundary-contour based surface representation through the time course of interocular inhibition. Vision Research, 51(11), 1288-1296.
- Su, Y. R., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2011) Seeing grating-textured surface begins at the border. Journal of Vision, 11(1):14, 1–14, http://www.journalofvision.org/content/11/1/14, doi:10.1167/11.1.14.
- Xu, J.P., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2010) Effectively reducing sensory eye dominance with a push-pull perceptual learning protocol. Current Biology, 20, 1864-1868.
- Su, Y. R., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2010) The magnitude and dynamics of interocular suppression affected by monocular boundary contour and conflicting local features. Vision Research, 50(20), 2037-47.
- Su, Y. R., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2010) Boundary contour based surface integration affected by color. Vision Research, 50(18), 1833-1844.
- Su, Y., He, Z. &Ooi, T. L. (2010) Surface completion affected by luminance contrast polarity and common motion. Journal of Vision, 10(3), article 5, http://www.journalofvision.org/content/10/3/5, doi: 10.1167/10.3.5
- Xu, J.P., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2010) Surface boundary contour strengthens image dominance in binocular competition. Vision Research, 50(2), 155-170.
- Su, Y., He, Z. &Ooi, T. L. (2009) Coexistence of binocular integration and suppression determined by surface border information. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106(37), 15990-15995.
- van Bogaert, E.A.,Ooi, T. L. & He, Z. J. (2008) On the monocular boundary contour mechanism in binocular surface representation and suppression. Perception, 37(8), 1197-1215.
- Wu, J., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. Perceived relative distance on the ground affected by the selection of depth information. Perception and Psychophysics, 70(4), 707-713.
- Wu, B., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2007) The linear perspective information in ground surface representation and distance judgment. Perception and Psychophysics, 69(5), 654-672.
- Ooi, T. L. & He, Z. J. (2007) A distance judgment function based on space perception mechanisms – revisiting Gilinsky’s (1951) equation. Psychological Review, 114(2), 441-454.
- Wu, B., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2007) Inaccurate representation of the ground surface beyond a texture boundary. Perception, 36(5), 703-721.
- Ooi, T.L. & He, Z. J. (2006) Binocular rivalry and surface boundary processing. Perception, 35(5), 581-603.
- Ooi, T. L., Wu, B. & He, Z. J. (2006) Perceptual space in the dark affected by the intrinsic bias of the visual system. Perception, 35(5), 605-624.
- Wu, J., He, Z. J. &Ooi, T. L. (2005) Visually perceived eye level and horizontal midline of the body trunk influenced by optic flow. Perception, 34(9), 1045-1060.
- Ooi, T.L. & He, Z.J. (2005) Surface representation and attention modulation mechanisms in binocular rivalry. In Binocular rivalry. Alais, D., & Blake, R. (Eds.) Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. pp 117-135.
- He, Z. J., Wu, B.,Ooi, T. L., Yarbrough, G., & Wu, J. (2004) Judging egocentric distance on the ground: Occlusion and surface integration. Perception, 33(7), 789-806.
- Wu, B, Ooi, T. L. & He, Z. J. (2004) Perceiving distance accurately by a directional process of integrating ground information. Nature, 428, 73-77.
- Ooi, T.L. & He, Z.J. (2003) A distributed intercortical processing of binocular rivalry: Psychophysical evidence. Perception, 32(2), 155-166.
- Ooi, T.L., Wu, B. & He, Z.J. (2001) Distance determined by the angular declination below the horizon. Nature, 414, 197-200.
- Eubank,T. F. &Ooi, T. L. (2001) Improving visually guided action and perception through use of prisms. J. Am. Optom. Assoc., 72(4), 217-227.
- Ooi, T.L. & He, Z.J.(2001) Sensory eye dominance. J. Am. Optom. Assoc., 72(3), 168-178.
- He, Z.J. & Ooi, T.L. (2000) Perceiving binocular depth with reference to a common surface. Perception, 29, 1313-1334.
- Ooi, T.L. & He, Z.J.(1999) Binocular rivalry and visual awareness: The role of attention. Perception, 28(5), 551-574.
- Sinai, M. J., Ooi, T. L., & He, Z. J. (1998). Terrain influences the accurate judgment of distance. Nature, 395, 497-500.
Professional Honors and Activities:
- Fellow of American Academy of Optometry
- Member of Vision Sciences Society
Psychophysical study of human visual perception and action. Current research, supported by the National Institutes of Health, focuses on:
- Binocular depth and binocular rivalry perception.
- Intermediate level surface representation.
- Visual attention mechanisms.
- Space perception and action in the real and virtual-reality environments.
- The role of neural plasticity/learning mechanisms in the integration of perceptual and motor systems for accurate visually guided action, and the clinical implications (e.g., in amblyopia, brain injury rehabilitation, etc.).