Faculty and Staff News
Dr. Verma To Be Honored By Academy
The past two years have been quite a period for recognition by his peers and the optometric profession for Satya Verma, OD ’73, professor and associate director of the optometry externship program. At their annual meeting in October, the American Academy of Optometry (AAO) will present Dr. Verma with their 2014 Life Fellowship Award.
The AAO Life Fellowship Award is presented to an individual who has rendered “distinguished service to the science and art of optometry.” In a congratulatory letter to Dr. Verma, AAO awards committee member Chris Johnson, PhD, noted, “The excellence of your career has been acknowledged by numerous honors, and by the tremendous contributions you have made to optometry. It is only fitting that you be the recipient of this award.” Congratulations, Dr. Verma, on this well-deserved honor!
New Security Position
Wayne Pancza, director of Safety and Security announced the promotion of Gary Hughes to the new position of Lead Security Officer (LSO) earlier this month. As LSO, Mr. Hughes is responsible for providing orientation and training as needed for all existing and new Salus University security officers. He also will be responsible for the scheduling of the Department of Safety and Security’s workforce. LSO Hughes will work directly with the director of Safety and Security to help develop safety and security guidelines along with policies and procedures for Salus University Safety & Security department and the University.
Mr. Hughes’ background includes 30 years’ experience with the Philadelphia Police Department, where he was assigned to many different units, including patrol; narcotics; plain clothes undercover; investigative; civil affairs; ADA complaints; arbitration and grievance.
The Salus University community warmly welcomes its newest members:
- Marietta Dooley, Classroom Technology Manager, TLS
- Dr. SallyAnn Geiss, Assistant Professor, SLP department, CER
- Maya Fuller-Little, HR Specialist
- Vadiris O’Neill, Billing Specialist, TEI
- Claire Wyszynski, AA, registrar
The Salus University community offers sincere congratulations to the following members:
- Amanda Lusaitis, who has moved from the Office of the Registrar to a new position as Student Affairs Administrative Coordinator.
- Dr. Lauren Sponseller, assistant professor, OT department, who with husband, Kyle, welcomed son Luke Edward James Sponseller in April.
- Dr. Satya Verma, who was interviewed by Dr. Kathy Freeman on the topic of eyecare for the geriatric patient for Practiceupdate.com. The two-part interview can be found on, Elsevier’s educational website (www.practiceupdate.com).
- Lynne Dellinger, director, TVI program, on the passing of her mother, Ruth Davis.
- Dr. Maria Parisi, director, PCO externship program, on the passing of her father, Vito Parisi.