Pennsylvania College of Optometry
Doctor of Optometry
The application process for the inaugural Scholars cohort will begin on July 1, 2013. The program will begin in June 2014.
Applications received will be processed as follows:
Early Decision Review: applications received by the Admissions Office from OptomCAS (see Submitting an Application below) on or before October 15, 2013 will be reviewed by the Scholars Program Admissions Committee.
- Based on this initial review, highly qualified applicants determined to be eligible for “early decision” will be invited to participate in the interview process.
- If invited, the interview process is required, as it significantly contributes to the applicant’s file that will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee to render an admissions decision.
- Early decision on eligible candidate files will be made not later than November 30, 2013.
Overall Final Decision Review: applications received after October 15, 2013 - but not later than December 15, 2013 - will be reviewed by the Scholars Program Admissions Committee. Based on this review process, highly qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the interview process occurring in February, 2014 .
Pennsylvania College of Optometry at Salus University joins other colleges of optometry in accepting applications ONLY through the Optometry Centralized Application Service (OptomCAS) (www.optomcas.org).
To be considered for the Scholars Program, an applicant must:
- Submit a properly completed application to the Optometry Centralized
Application Service (OptomCAS) at www.optomcas.org beginning July 1,
2013. Detailed instructions regarding the completion of the application are
provided on the OptomCAS website.
- Answer the supplemental question on the optomcas application identifying yourself as an applicant to the Scholars program.
- for Early Decision Review, the application must be received by the Salus University Office of Admissions on or before October 15, 2013. (Please allow up to six weeks processing by OptomCAS).
- for Overall Review, the application must be received by the Salus University Office of Admissions on or before December 18, 2013. (Please allow up to six weeks for processing by OptomCAS).
- Arrange to have forwarded directly to OptomCAS either of the following
letters of evaluation to fulfill the Pennsylvania College of Optometry at
Salus University requirement:
- a pre-professional committee letter of evaluation or
- three natural science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematics) teaching faculty or two science teaching faculty and one practicing optometrist whom you have shadowed..
- letter packets containing the letters outlined above.
- Please note: additional letters will enhance your application file but will not fulfill our required letters of evaluation.
- Arrange to take the Optometry Admissions Test (OAT). Applicants are
advised to take the OAT no later than September 30, 2013 for early
decision review, or no later than December 1, 2013 for overall review.
- the exam is offered electronically.
- information and registration for online testing: www.opted.org
- OAT results should not be more than two years old at the beginning
of the application cycle.
If you have questions about the processing of applications or the required prerequisites, contact an Admissions Counselor at 800.824.6262.