Assistant Professor, Pennsylvania College of Optometry
- BS, Randolph-Macon College
- OD, Pennsylvania College of Optometry
Role at Salus:
- Assistant Professor, Optometry
- Pediatric care, binocular vision, vision therapy, learning-related vision disorders, brain injury evaluation and treatment
Selected Representative Publications:
Note: I am listed as an investigator under the Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial Investigator Group and the Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group.
- Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group. A Randomized Trial Comparing Part-time Patching with Observation for Children 3-10 Years Old with Intermittent Exotropia. Submitted to Ophthalmology.
- Writing Committee for the Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group. Optical treatment of strabismic and combined strabismic–anisometropic amblyopia. Ophthalmology 2012;119(1):150–8.
- Scheiman M, Kulp MT, Cotter S, Mitchell GL, Gallaway M, Boas M, Coulter R, Hopkins K, Tamkins S; The Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial Study Group. Vision Therapy/Orthoptic for Symptomatic Convergence Insufficiency in Children: Treatment Kinetics. Optom Vis Sci 2010;87(8): p. 593-603.
- Rouse, M; Borsting, E, Mitchell, GL, Kulp, MT, Scheiman, M, Amster, D, Coulter, R, Fecho, G, Gallaway, M, and The Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Study Group. Academic Behaviors in Children with Convergence Insufficiency with and without Parent-Reported ADHD. Optom Vis Sci 2009; 86(10): p. 1169-1177.
- Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial Study Group. Long-term Effectiveness of Treatments for Symptomatic Convergence Insufficiency in Children. Optom Vis Sci 2009; 86: p. 1096-1103.
- Rouse M, Borsting E, Mitchell GL, Cotter SA, Kulp M, Scheiman M, Barnhardt C, Bade A, Yamada T, The Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial Study Group. Validity of the Convergence Insufficiency Symptom Survey: A Confirmatory Study. Optom Vis Sci 2009; 86: p. 357–363
- Kulp M, Mitchell GL, Borsting E, Scheiman M, Cotter S, Rouse M, Tamkins S, Mohney BG, Toole A, Reuter K, The Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial Investigator Group. Effectiveness of Placebo Therapy for Maintaining Masking in a Clinical Trial of Vergence/Accommodative Therapy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2009; 50: p. 2560-2566.
- The Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial Study Group. Randomized Clinical Trial of Treatments for Symptomatic Convergence Insufficiency in Children. Arch Ophthalmol 2008; 126: p. 1336-1349.
- Kulp M, Borsting E, Scheiman M, Cotter S, Cooper J, Rouse M, London R, Wensveen J, The Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial Investigator Group. Feasibility of Using Placebo Vision Therapy in a Multi-center Clinical Trial. Optom Vis Sci, 2008; 85: p. 255-261
- The Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial Investigator Group. The Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial: Design, Methods, and Baseline Data. Ophthalmic Epidemiol 2008; 15: p. 24-36
- Fellow, American Academy of Optometry
- Member, College of Optometrists of Vision Development
- Outstanding Service Award, National Optometric Student Association, PCO Chapter. 2009 – 2010
U10 EY011751-13 (Kraker PI) 01/01/09 – 12/31/13
Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group Coordinating Center
A series of multi-center randomized trials and prospective observational studies in amblyopia, strabismus, and other eye disorders that affect children.
- Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Study - 11/1/12 - ongoing
A randomized clinical trial to evaluate the effectiveness of home-based computer vergence/accommodative therapy and home-based near target push-ups in children 9 to <18 years of age with symptomatic CI.
- Hyperopia Treatment Study 1 - 11/1/12 - ongoing
A randomized clinical trial designed to evaluate and compare visual acuity
outcomes and development of strabismus after a 3-year follow-up period in
children age 12 to <60 months with moderate hyperopia (spherical equivalent
+3.00D to +6.00D) who are prescribed glasses either immediately or only after
confirmation of pre-specified deterioration criteria
Masked examiner, Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial – Attention and Reading
Trial. Principal Investigator: Michael Gallaway, OD. Funded by NIH. Summer 2014