As Salus University’s tenth anniversary wraps up at the end of this year, the Office of Institutional Advancement recently hosted events to celebrate.
The first two were staff appreciation lunches, held both at The Eye Institute (TEI) and in the Hafter Student Community Center on the Elkins Park, Pa., campus. Faculty and staff were encouraged to take a break from their busy schedules to mingle with each other while relishing in a healthy lunch. President Dr. Michael Mittelman took a few minutes during each to show his appreciation for everyone in attendance and all they do on a daily basis to keep the University running smoothly, as well as his hopes and goals for the upcoming years.
Next up was a social event at Philadelphia’s Yards Brewing Co., which was open to young alumni, students, faculty and staff. Attendees enjoyed food and drinks in addition to a fun environment of games such as ping pong and darts. After a thank you, Dr. Mittelman also spoke about looking ahead to the Centennial Celebration of the University’s founding college, the Pennsylvania College of Optometry (PCO), at the start of next year. He also participated in a game or two of ping-pong with some students.
These events come on the heel of the July 1 celebration marking ten years to the day when the institution’s name officially changed to Salus University
. Founded as the Pennsylvania State College of Optometry (PSCO) in 1919, the institution was the first to award a legislature-approved Doctor of Optometry Degree. It operated as the Pennsylvania College of Optometry (PCO) until being granted university status by the Pennsylvania Department of Education on January 31, 2008. The official name change to Salus University occurred on July 1, 2008.