Professor Emeritus, College of Education and Rehabilitation
- BA, MEd, University of Pittsburgh
- PhD, University of Pennsylvania
Role at Salus University:
- Professor, Blindness and Low Vision
Selected Representative Publications:
- Geruschat, D.R., Flax, M, Tanna, N, Bianchi, M, Fisher, A, Goldschmidt, M, Fisher, Dagnelie, G, Deremeik, Smith, A., Anaflous, F., Dorn, J. (2015) FLORA™: Phase I development of a functional vision assessment for prosthetic vision users. Clinical Experimental Optometry. July; 98(4):342-7
- Smith, B. & Smith, A. (2013). The building of transformational leadership for the field of sensory disabilities: The National Leadership Consortium in Sensory Disabilities. DVI Quarterly, 58 (3) 35-47 Smith, A., & Geruschat, D. (2010). Orientation and mobility for adults with low vision. In A. L. Corn, & J. N. Erin, (Eds.), Foundations of low vision (2nd. Ed.). (pp. 833–870). New York: AFB Press.
- Geruschat, D., & Smith, A. (2010). Low Vision for orientation and mobility. In W. Weiner, R. Welsh & B. Blasch, (Eds.), Foundations of orientation and mobility Vol. 1: History and theory (pp. 63–83). New York: AFB Press.
- Geruschat, D., & Smith, A. (2010). Improving the use of low vision for orientation and mobility. In W. Weiner, R. Welsh & B. Blasch, (Eds.), Foundations of orientation and mobility Vol. 2: Instructional strategies and practical applications (pp. 54–90). New York: AFB Press.
- DiStefano, A., Huebner, K. M., Garber, M. & Smith, A. J. (2006). Community service, needs and resources in visual impairment: A 21st Century Public Health Perspective. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 100, 793-805.
- Smith, A., & Geruschat, D., & Huebner, K. (2004). Policy to practice: Teachers’ and administrators’ views on curricular access by students with low vision. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 98, 612-628.
Selected Scholarly Presentations:
- Smith, A. J. (2015, October). United States Models of Vision Rehabilitation. Paper presentation at the 7th International Low Vision Rehabilitation Forum, sponsored by the Chinese Disabled Persons Federation, Beijing, China (Invited).
- Smith, A.J. (2015, October). The Importance of Functional Vision Assessment and Instruction: Complementing the clinical eye examination. Paper presentation at the Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Guangzhou, China (Invited).
Funded Grants and Education:
- 2011-15 Project Director – “A Vision for Diversity” – funded by US Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs and Rehabilitation Services
- 2010-14 Financial Manager – “National Leadership Preparation in Sensory Disabilities” – funded by US Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs
- 2010-12 Past Project Director – “Vision Rehabilitation Training: Weathering the Perfect Storm” – funded by US Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs and Rehabilitation Services
- 2000-present - Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist, Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals - COMS
- 2000-present - Certified Low Vision Therapist- Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals - CLVT
- 2008 - Teacher of the Year Award – College of Education and Rehabilitation– Salus University
- 2005, 2006 - Teacher of the Year Award – Department of Graduate Studies in Vision Impairment– Pennsylvania College of Optometry
- 2001 - Teacher of the Year Award – Department of Graduate Studies in Vision Impairment– Pennsylvania College of Optometry
- 1998 - Outstanding Lifetime of Meritorious Services and Contributions to Individuals with Low Vision. Association of the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired.
- 1995 - Pennsylvania College of Optometry. Presidential Medal of Honor