Many people have been part of the proud history of the Pennsylvania College of Optometry (PCO) and Salus University. Alumni, faculty, and friends of the College helped establish PCO as a pioneer and leader in the field of optometric education and the profession of optometry. The following people - highlighted on Medal Mondays - were honored on May 20, 1995 at the 75th Anniversary Gala Celebration for their outstanding contributions to the College and the field of optometry and vision care.
Dr. Jacob Nevyas joined the faculty in 1932 as professor of Chemistry and was named Emeritus Professor upon his retirement in 1971. He devoted his life to teaching at the College and gained a reputation as an excellent teacher and advisor. He authored and presented an extensive lecture series on basic and clinical chemistry. Throughout his career at the College, Dr. Nevyas served as a mentor and advisor, assisting students, faculty, and alumni in the preparation of technical papers, text books, laboratory manuals, and other publications. For more than 20 years, he helped edit and produce the Alumni Bulletin. He received the Distinguished Service Award in 1963. In 1970, he was made an Emeritus Member of the American Chemical Society. For at least 15 years following his retirement, Dr. Nevyas served PCO in whatever capacity was requested of him. The College was his extended home and family.