associate Professor, College of Education and Rehabilitation
- PhD, New York University Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development
- MEd, North Carolina Central University, Teachers of Students with Visual Impairments; Orientation & Mobility Certificate
- BA, Barnard College
Role at Salus University:
- Associate Provost
- College of Health Sciences, Education and Rehabilitation
- Associate Professor, Professional Preparation Program for Children with Visual Impairments & Multiple Disabilities
- NLCSD Project Co-Director, National Leadership Consortium for Sensory Disabilities
Selected Representative Publications:
- Kirchner, C., Gerber, E. & Smith, B. (2008). Designed to deter: community barriers to physical activity for people with visual or motor impairments. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 34, (4) 349-352.
- Gerber, E. & Smith, B. (2006). Literacy and controversy: Focus group data from Canada on proposed changes to the Braille code. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 100, 459-470.
- Kirchner, C., Smith, B. & Gerber, E. (2006). On the Move: Promoting Consumers’ Physical Activity in Orientation and Mobility Practice, Using Evidence and Advocacy.
- Kirchner, C. & Smith, B. (2005). Transition to what? Education and employment outcomes for visually impaired youths after high school. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 99, 499-504.
- Nakamaru, S. & Smith, B. (2004). International voices speak out on group work in graduate-level programs. Idiom: Journal of the New York State Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages 34, (3) 22-23.
- Smith, B. & Perla, F., “Building Relationships with Families: Bridging the Gap Between Knowing and Doing” presented at the Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired International Conference, Seattle, Washington, July 20, 2012.
- Smith, B., Schick, B. & Killoran, J., “A Consortium Model for Leadership Training with a Value Added Research Enrichment Program: National Leadership Consortium in Sensory Disabilities” presented at the OSEP Project Director’s Meeting, Washington, DC, July 19, 2011.
- Smith, B. & Perla, F., “Re-envisioning Communication: A Fresh Look at Teacher-Family Interactions” presented at the Penn-Del Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired, Grantsville, Pennsylvania, April 27, 2011.
- Smith, B. “Teaching & Learning of Students Who Are Visually Impaired and Culturally Diverse” presented at the Annual Convention of the Council for Exceptional Children, National Harbor, Maryland, April 26, 2011.
- Smith, B., “Examining Family Experiences in School: Latino Immigrant Parents of Young Children in Special Education” presented at the 32nd Annual Ethnography in Education Research Forum, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, February 25, 2011.
- Smith, B., “Educating the Whole Child: The Teaching and Learning of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students with Visual Impairments” presented at the Penn-Del Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired, Grantsville, Pennsylvania, April, 2010.
- Cultural and linguistic diversity, home-school relationships, disability studies