President’s Medal Recipients
Many people have been part of the proud history of the Pennsylvania College of Optometry (PCO) and Salus University. Alumni, faculty, and friends of the College helped establish PCO as a pioneer and leader in the field of optometric education and the profession of optometry. The following people - highlighted on Medal Mondays - were honored on May 20, 1995 at the 75th Anniversary Gala Celebration for their outstanding contributions to the College and the field of optometry and vision care.
During the weekend of the Centennial Gala Celebration, additional alumni, faculty, and friends were honored.
Guy D.G. Wengert, OD ‘28
As an active member of the Pennsylvania Optometric Association and as the organization’s vice president for Legislative Affairs, Dr. Wengert was instrumental in obtaining a number of landmark amendments to the Optometry Act of Pennsylvania. He was subsequently appointed by the governor as Secretary of the State Board of Examiners in Optometry, a position held from 1955 until his retirement in 1986. In 1981, he received both the Pennsylvania College of Optometry’s Alumni Association’s Special Recognition Award and the Pennsylvania Optometric Association’s Optometrist of the Year. He maintained a private practice for many years in Harrisburg, Pa. In addition to his optometric associations, he was also a past chairman of the Camp Hill Citizens Committee, a past president of the Y’s Men’s Association, a member of Camp Hill United Methodist Church, and a 33rd-degree Mason along with being a member of numerous other organizations. He passed away on February 7, 1997 in Camp Hill, Pa.